Why Learn Spanish?
Why Learn Spanish?
10 Reasons to Study Spanish
If you are about to start studying a new language and you don’t know which one to choose, here are 10 simple reasons why you should learn Spanish.
If you have already made your decision and are looking for how to learn Spanish, we can help you here: I want to learn Spanish!
Learning Spanish will allow you to communicate with a large part of the world’s population. Isn’t that cool? Here we explain it to you.
In Colombia we receive more and more Spanish students from all over the world. In addition to being widely recognized as one of the best places to learn Spanish, it has almost 50% of the institutions dedicated to teaching Spanish as a foreign language in Latin America.
Hence, the National Government has created a promotional strategy to make Colombia the main destination to learn Spanish in the world.
Learn Spanish Now is located in Colombia, more specifically in the city of Medellín, and for more than 10 years we have taught Spanish in person and online to hundreds of students from all over the world. Learn more about us!
If you are still wondering if you should study Spanish, the answer is YES and here we are going to explain why.
The following data was extracted from the Instituto Cervantes’ yearbook “Españoles en el mundo”. The Instituto Cervantes is a public institution created by Spain in 1991 to universally promote the teaching, study and use of Spanish and contribute to the dissemination of Hispanic cultures abroad.
10 reasons of why you should learn Spanish:
1. Did you know that Spanish is the third most spoken language in the world? It has around 780 million speakers.
In second place is Mandarin Chinese with some 1.3 billion speakers. In first place is English with 1.8 billion speakers.
2. Spanish has almost 500 million native speakers, making it the second native language in the world, after Mandarin Chinese with 950 million.
3. In addition, it is the official language of 20 countries in the world and it is also one of the official languages in Puerto Rico, an island and unincorporated territory of the United States.
4. Until the end of 2017, more than 21 million people in the world were studying Spanish as a foreign language. I ALSO WANT TO LEARN SPANISH!
The following chart, prepared by the Instituto Cervantes, shows the approximate number of Spanish students by country up to 2004.
5. On the other hand, Spanish is the second most used language on platforms such as YouTube or Netflix and also on social networks such as Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. In addition, it is the third most used language on the web.
6. In addition, it is an important economic asset, since bilateral exports between Spanish-speaking countries are multiplied by four thanks to the common language.
7. In terms of popularity, Spanish does not show any decline, on the contrary, the figures have been constantly increasing in the last decade. According to the Instituto Cervantes:
“The British Council classifies Spanish as the second most important language to learn for British citizens. It is also estimated that the Hispanic population in the US will reach 130 million in 2060, which would make the US the country with the most Spanish speakers in the world and would further increase the global importance of this language”. Read article complete here.
8. Studying Spanish will allow you to travel and communicate with locals in Spain, North America (Mexico and thousands of Spanish speakers in the US), all of Central and South America (with the exception of Brazil), the Caribbean (Cuba, Republic Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico) and Africa (Equatorial Guinea).
9. You could also study in one of the universities in all these countries or even work in one of them.
10. On the other hand, studying Spanish will make you understand the Hispanic culture and how we see the world.
Enroll in our school and learn Spanish without leaving home. START NOW!
Read our blogs about the most common mistakes ordering food in Spanish and the most common mistakes introducing yourself in Spanish.